Hope for a Traveler

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Essential for Human Existance

All the major religions of our world teach the same message: compassion for one's neighbor. The religions of the world that have survived the scientific awakening and modern philosophical and social development all share this message, those that did not have faded into nothingness. This core message of compassion found in Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and all the many branches of these religions does not take into consideration an individual's race, gender, political affiliation, or their sexuality. In those religions that recognize a god the message of compassion is said to be the very words of YHWH, God, Alah. In those that choose not to recognize a god the idea that compassion is essential for human existence is acknowledged as a solid, irrefutable fact - as rigid as if it were spoken by a god.

I personally subscribe to Buddhism. As with most subscriptions I don't necessarily read or agree with every article but I give it my all to try. For a while several years ago I was a very good Buddhist, recently I have found I've become my self before Buddhism; hateful and lacking compassion. For this reason I've begun the journey that I set out upon years ago: to devote myself to a Buddhist system of beliefs. I must admit that I am a very picky person and even such a simple religion as Buddhism has its aspects I do not agree with (mostly the belief in divine entities, I chose to think of them more as just symbolic figures used when times and the human mind were simpler). On this journey I will be providing short blurbs of my experiences with other people and other religions, as stated above they all have the same basic principles…so we shall see how nicely we can play together.

A little background to my reader: I have studied and read the Bible. I have studied and read the Torrah. I have studied and recited the Qur'an. I have studied and read several sacred Buddhist texts (such as the Tibetan Book of the Dead and several books written by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama). My parents tried their hardest to raise me a devout Christian and ever since I can honestly recall I lacked the ability to believe. This blog is my exploration of the human spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment